Senior Payload Systems Manager – Switzerland
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance Radio Frequency (RF) products and applications to recently announcing the manufacture of entire geostationary telecom satellites, called HummingSat, that define a new category in space.
HummingSat is the world’s first commercial telecom GEO SmallSat developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA). Its uniquely compact size combined with highly capable telecom payloads allows telecommunications operators to deploy a cost-efficient, compact and agile asset without sacrificing performance or security. HummingSat has recently been selected by Inmarsat to build three I-8 satellites and in 2022 by Intelsat to build the I-45 satellite.
SWISSto12 is also a leading provider of Radio-Frequency (RF) products and sub-systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF products.
We are looking for an experienced telecom satellite payload manager our development and customer program execution efforts on GEO telecom satellites and advanced flexible payloads.
This position is an unique opportunity to lead the development of a new class of telecommunication satellites. If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to an innovative and fast growing company, this role is for you.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Technical lead of telecom satellite payload engineering activity, working in the HummingSat program team and with external partners and suppliers.
- Ensure the system is fit for its intended purpose and analyse technical trade-offs.
- Perform payload system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Manage payload systems (such as digital processor, amplifiers, filters), requirement flow-down and verification.
- Manage payload interfaces to spacecraft platform (RF, power, command and telemetry).
- Develop relationships with payload subsystem suppliers and partners. Work with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications.
- Work alongside the program management team to monitor the execution of activities and contribute to problem solving, ensuring successful delivery of these activities.
- Be exposed to responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring younger engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Experience as a GEO Telecom Systems Payload Manager, preferably for 10 years or more.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment
- Must possess the ability to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies
- Extensive experience with various relevant system modelling and analysis tools is a must
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent working organisation and ethics
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with RF power amplification sub-systems
- Master or PhD degree in a relevant technical field
- Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation is a plus
- Experience with phased array satellite antenna systems is a plus
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite, skills in French are a plus
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position opened herein will operate from the Renens office and will require occasional travel in Europe and between Europe and the US to work with teams and supplier at both locations
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat, Inmarsat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.