Senior Satellite Systems Engineer
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced GEO Telecom Satellite System Engineer to join our development and customer program for our HummingSate GEO satellite product line.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead telecom satellite spacecraft systems engineering activity, working with our satellite program team and our external partners and suppliers.
- Ensure the system is fit for its intended purpose and analyze technical trade-offs.
- Manage spacecraft systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Manage spacecraft platform subsystem interfaces (power, telemetry and telecommand, command and data handling, attitude control, thermal, propulsion, etc).
- Performs system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Responsible for writing quality technical documentation for contract deliverables in your domain of expertise
- Develop relationships with platform and spacecraft subsystem suppliers and partners; working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, work alongside our program management team to monitor the execution of activities, contribute to problem solving and ensure the successful delivery of these activities.
- Support systems aspects of telecom satellite proposals.
- Collaborate with technical staff, program managers and executive management to develop and implement current and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business and financial objectives relevant to the satellite program efforts.
- Be exposed to responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring our less experienced engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of our talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Demonstrate extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordination to meet established milestones.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Extensive experience with satellite system and missions. Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Proven ability to resolve complex technical problems and complex management of technical activities.
- Excellent customer focus with experience managing customers and supplier interfaces.
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis, while being part of a team.
- Proven ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Experience with various relevant schedule tools
- Masters or PhD degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Systems Engineering or Physics or equivalent and at least 10 years of relevant experience working with incrementally complex telecom satellite systems.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite,
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001 and EN/AS 9100 norms as well as with preventive and curative quality tools (8D, Ishikawa, FMEA, risk analysis,) is an optional plus
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. This position can operate either from our Foster City office or our Lausanne, Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between the two locations to work teams and supplier at both locations. In addition, this role will be closely involved with the satellite AIT campaign and will require onsite presence in Southern California during the AIT campaign.
Please note that for export control reasons, individuals who would primarily be working in the US office would need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V