Senior Satellite Systems Engineer – US
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance Radio Frequency (RF) products and applications to recently announcing the manufacture of entire geostationary telecom satellites, called HummingSat, that define a new category in space.
HummingSat is the world’s first commercial telecom GEO SmallSat developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA). Its uniquely compact size combined with highly capable telecom payloads allows telecommunications operators to deploy a cost-efficient, compact and agile asset without sacrificing performance or security. HummingSat has recently been selected by Inmarsat to build three I-8 satellites and in 2022 by Intelsat to build the I-45 satellite.
SWISSto12 is also a leading provider of Radio-Frequency (RF) products and sub-systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF products.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced GEO Telecom Satellite System Engineer to join our development and customer program for our HummingSate GEO satellite product line.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead telecom satellite spacecraft systems engineering activity, working with our satellite program team and our external partners and suppliers.
- Ensure the system is fit for its intended purpose and analyze technical trade-offs.
- Manage spacecraft systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Manage spacecraft platform subsystem interfaces (power, telemetry and telecommand, command and data handling, attitude control, thermal, propulsion, etc).
- Performs system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Responsible for writing quality technical documentation for contract deliverables in your domain of Develop relationships with platform and spacecraft subsystem suppliers and partners; working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, work alongside our program management team to monitor the execution of activities, contribute to problem solving and ensure the successful delivery of these activities.
- Support systems aspects of telecom satellite proposals.
- Collaborate with technical staff, program managers and executive management to develop and implement current and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business and financial objectives relevant to the satellite program efforts.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring our less experienced engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of our talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Demonstrate extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordination to meet established milestones.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Extensive experience with satellite system and missions . Understanding spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Proven ability to resolve complex technical problems and complex management of technical activities.
- Excellent customer focus with experience managing customers and supplier interfaces.
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis, while being part of a team.
- Proven ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Experience with various relevant schedule tools
- Masters or PhD degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Systems Engineering or Physics or equivalent and at least 10 years of relevant experience working with incrementally complex telecom satellite systems.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite,
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001 and EN/AS 9100 norms as well as with preventive and curative quality tools (8D, Ishikawa, FMEA, risk analysis,) is an optional plus
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. This position will be based in our Foster City and will require occasional travel between the US and Europe to work with teams and suppliers at both locations.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with Inmarsat, Intelsat and ESA for HummingSat as well as an established and growing business for its RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, Frontgrade, Elbit, IAI, Profen and ESA. SWISSto12 spun-off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2011, is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 80. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V