Senior Satellite Platform Systems Engineer
SWISSto12 is recruiting an experienced satellite platform system engineer to join its development and customer program execution efforts on GEO telecom satellites and advanced payloads.
SWISSto12 is the leading developer of advanced engineered Radio-Frequency (RF) products for telecommunications, electronic warfare and radar applications in the Aerospace and Defence industries. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems. SWISSto12 has developed commercial with success in Europe and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, Airbus Defence & Space, Elbit, IAI and the European Space Agency. SWISSto12 is the fastest growing Swiss aerospace company, spun off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors.
Developing from its RF product and system portfolio, SWISSto12 is now progressing on advanced end-to-end payloads for the benefit of customers in the satellite operator ecosystem. SWISSto12’s advanced and compact payloads are to be hosted on customised 3rd party satellite platforms due to launch starting in 2024. SWISSto12 is hence staffing a satellite program management and execution team to deliver against these missions.
SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Santa Clara, California. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream. The position opened herein can operate either from the Lausanne or Santa Clara office and will require travel between the two locations to work with the integrated team active across both locations for these satellite programs.
Please note that for export control reasons, individuals working in the US office need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Lead telecom satellite spacecraft systems engineering activity, working within the SWISSto12 satellite program team and with external partners and suppliers.
- Ensure the system is fit for its intended purpose and analyze technical trade-offs
- Manage spacecraft systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Manage spacecraft platform subsystem interfaces (power, telemetry and telecommand, command and data handling, attitude control, thermal, propulsion, etc).
- Performs system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Develop relationships with platform and spacecraft subsystem suppliers and partners. Work with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems. Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, work alongside program management team to monitor execution of activities, contribute to problem solving, ensure successful delivery of these activities.
- Support systems aspects of telecom satellite proposals.
- Collaborate with technical staff, program managers and executive management to develop and implement current and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business and financial objectives relevant to the satellite program efforts.
- Be exposed to responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring younger engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Masters or PhD degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Systems Engineering or Physics or equivalent and at least 10 years of relevant experience working with incrementally complex telecom satellite systems.
- Demonstrates extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordination to meet established milestones.
- Must possess the ability to resolve complex technical problems and complex management of technical activities.
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Extensive experience with satellite system and missions. Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent working organisation and ethics
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Basic proficiency with CAD software
- Experience with various relevant system modelling and analysis tools
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite, skills in French are a plus
- Experience with spacecraft software and database and command and telemetry protocols is an optional plus
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001 and EN/AS 9100 norms as well as with preventive and curative quality tools (8D, Ishikawa, FMEA, risk analysis,…) is a plus
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Interested applicants are requested to apply with a CV (resume), a motivation letter, copy of relevant diplomas and at least three references at the following email address:
[email protected] with subject Senior Satellite Platform Systems Engineer/Family Name