Senior Radio Frequency Engineer (US)
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance applications and radio frequency (RF) products to building entire telecommunication satellites, the HummingSat, defining a new category in space.
SWISSto12 is partnered with Frontgrade to market its Additively Manufactured (AM) RF technology to US customers. Under this partnership, FRONTGRADE has built an end-to-end manufacturing and test capability based on SWISSto12’s unique and patented technology, at the FRONTGRADE Exeter (NH) facility. In addition to the manufacturing capability, SWISSto12 and FRONTGRADE routinely collaborate on product development, as well as supporting companies in the US, primarily in the Aerospace industry, with SWISSto12’s proprietary technology. SWISSto12’s extensive RFAM heritage consists primarily of complex integrated RF cavity-based assemblies (e.g., feed assemblies), antenna arrays and complete antenna systems for satellite communications, electronic surveillance, and radar applications, primarily in the space, airborne and surface domains.
SWISSto12 is recruiting a Senior RF / Antenna engineer to grow its market share in the US for RF products and subsystems, working in collaboration with its local partner Frontgrade (formerly known as CAES or Cobham AES). This role requires the ability to review and respond to export-controlled data and therefore requires that the applicant be a US citizen or green card holder.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Develop RF cavity-based antennas and waveguide-based components and assemblies for the SATCOM, EW, and Radar markets used in a wide variety of Aerospace applications.
- Apply advanced RF technologies, scientific principles, concepts, analyses, and simulations to formulate state-of-the-art solutions for US customers
- Prepare the technical input, including conceptual designs/descriptions and analyses/simulations and engineering cost estimates for responses to customer Requests for Information (RFIs) and Requests for Proposal (RFP)
- Interact with our mechanical engineering colleagues for design iterations to ensure manufacturability of our developed RF designs for 3D printing.
- Perform and/or supervise RF tests on antennas and waveguide-based components and assemblies (using a Vector Network Analyzer and Anechoic Chamber).
- Prepare customer documentation, including design reports, test plans & procedures and test reports
- Prepare and present RF design, engineering and test results to customer technical counterparts
- Work with industrial and academic partners on complex projects to manage their contributions.
- Participate in technical discussions/negotiations with suppliers, partners and customers.
- Support projects managed by colleagues.
- Prepare technical concepts/descriptions and engineering cost estimates for proposed IR&D projects.
- For the avoidance of doubt, this position does not cover the commercial development of the spacecraft product line of SWISSto12.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- At least 5 years’ experience in RF antenna and waveguide component and assembly design, development, and test
- Demonstrated problem-solving mind-set with a willingness to build proposals against challenging customer requirements.
- Excellent ability to write complex technical, scientific and management documents.
- Ability to use RF analysis and design tools such as Ansys HFSS or CST or TICRA (POS, CHAMP, or GRASP) or equivalent.
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis while being part of a team.
- Very well organised.
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Good customer focus with experience in engaging with customers and supplier.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on microwave antennas and microwave electronics.
- US Citizen – with the ability to obtain a US DOD Secret clearance
- Language: Fluent in English (with emphasis on excellent writing skills)
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- A least 10 years’ experience in RF antenna and waveguide component and assembly design, development, and test
- PhD in Electrical Engineering with a focus on microwave antennas and microwave electronics.
- Active US DOD Secret clearance and be eligible for a Top Secret clearance
Thise position will be based with the SWISSto12 team in Pennsylvania, with frequent on-site engagement at the Frontgrade facility in Exeter, NH. The role will require some reasonable traveling (< 20%) in the US to meet with customers and partners as well as regular travel to the Lausanne, Switzerland headquarters for training and periodic support of non-US customer efforts.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
SWISSto12 owns a significant amount of patented technologies uniquely suited to delivering lightweight, compact, high performance, and competitive RF systems. As such, the company has successfully established contracts for its product lines across the globe with industry leading partners and customers such as Intelsat, Thales, Elbit, IAI, Lockheed Martin, Frontgrade, and the European Space Agency.
SWISSto12 was founded in 2011 as a spin off from the EPFL in Lausanne, is privately owned and backed by prominent European Investors. The company is headquartered in Switzerland and operates two subsidiaries in the US and one in Israel, with a growing team of over 70 people. The company is well funded, has rapidly growing customer revenue streams, and a substantial future contract backlog.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V
FRONTGRADE is a leader in the field of advanced electronics for the most technologically challenging aerospace and defense systems. As the largest provider in the US of mixed-signal and radiation-hardened technology to the United States aerospace and defense industry, FRONTGRADE delivers high-reliability RF, microwave and millimeter wave, microelectronic, and digital solutions. On land, at sea, in the air, in space and in cyberspace, FRONTGRADE’ extensive electronics and enhanced manufacturing capabilities are at the forefront of mission-critical innovation. www.Frontgrade.com