Digital hardware and signal processing Engineer
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Digital Hardware and Signal Processing Engineer to join our development and customer program focusing on GEO telecom satellites and advanced flexible payloads.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Taking the technical lead of telecom satellite flexible payload engineering activities and working with our satellite program team as well as external partners and suppliers.
- Ensuring the system is fit for its intended purpose and analysing technical trade-offs.
- Managing flexible payload systems (such as digital processor, beamforming units, power/low-noise amplifiers), requirement flow-down and verification.
- Managing payload interfaces to spacecraft platform (RF, power, command and telemetry).
- Performing flexible payload system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Developing relationships with payload subsystem suppliers and partners and working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems.
- Defining and preparing SoWs and specifications; working alongside the program management team to monitor the execution of activities, contributing to problem solving and ensuring the successful delivery of these activities.
- Supporting all flexible payload aspects of telecom satellite proposals including customer briefings.
- Being exposed to responsibilities for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensuring technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring our less experienced engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of our talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Experience with digitally beamformed or processed hardware and hardware development for RF telecommunication links, preferably with at least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with RF power amplification (either high-power or low-noise) sub-systems.
- Extensive experience with various relevant system modelling and analysis tools.
- Demonstrated ability to know when and how to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners and conduct technical development projects.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies
- Excellent customer focus with experience managing customers and supplier interfaces
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis, while being part of a team.
- Proven ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Master or PhD degree in a relevant technical field
- Understanding of the principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation is a plus
- Experience with phased array satellite antenna systems is a plus
- Experience within the satellite telecommunications industry is a plus
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite,
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package.
The position opened herein can operate either from our Foster City office or our Lausanne Switzerland office and will require travel between the two locations to work teams and clients in both locations.
Please note that for export control reasons, individuals working in the US office need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Santa Clara, California as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V