Senior Mechanical Satellite Systems Engineer
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance Radio Frequency (RF) products and applications to recently announcing the manufacture of entire geostationary telecom satellites, called HummingSat, that define a new category in space.
HummingSat is the world’s first commercial telecom GEO SmallSat developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA). Its uniquely compact size combined with highly capable telecom payloads allows telecommunications operators to deploy a cost-efficient, compact and agile asset without sacrificing performance or security. HummingSat has recently been selected by Inmarsat to build three I-8 satellites and in 2022 by Intelsat to build the I-45 satellite.
SWISSto12 is also a leading provider of Radio-Frequency (RF) products and sub-systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF products.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Mechanical Satellite System Engineer to join be part of our development and customer program for our HummingSat GEO satellite product line.
This involves the following:
- Being responsible for the mechanical/structural design of the HummingSat
- Performing satellite mechanical/structural analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Managing spacecraft mechanical systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Defining and preparing mechanical subsystem specifications.
- Contributing to the definition of Assembly, Integration, and Test (AIT) concepts of the Hummingsat spacecraft.
- Working within our satellite program team and with our external partners and suppliers and being exposed to having responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensuring technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring our less experienced engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of our talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- In-depth technical expertise and application of mechanical engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice.
- Real-world experience with mechanical system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies. Preferably with a minimum of 7 years’ experience.
- Experience with satellite system and missions. Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Demonstrated success with managing customer and supplier interfaces.
- Experience with thermo-mechanical finite element simulations and optimizations.
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space.
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent organizational skills and ethics.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Completely at ease working in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds and across different time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, Catia and ERP tools.
- Fluent English is a prerequisite, French is a plus.
- University degree in Mechanical or Materials or Aeronautical Engineering or Physics or equivalent.
- Knowledge of PLM tools is an asset.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. This position will be based from our Lausanne, Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between Europe and the United Sates to work with our teams and suppliers at both locations.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with Inmarsat, Intelsat and ESA for HummingSat as well as an established and growing business for its RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, Frontgrade, Elbit, IAI, Profen and ESA. SWISSto12 spun-off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2011, is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 80. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.