Senior Mechanical Satellite Engineer
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Mechanical Satellite System Engineer to join be part of our development and customer program for our HummingSat GEO satellite product line.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading the mechanical satellite systems engineering activity. This involves the following:
- Working within our satellite program team and with our external partners and suppliers and being exposed to having responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Defining and preparing Mechanical subsystem specifications and working alongside our program management team to monitor the execution of activities, contribute to problem solving and overall to ensure the successful delivery of these subsystems.
- Developing relationships with platform and spacecraft subsystem suppliers and partners and working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test the subsystems.
- Ensuring the system is fit for its intended purpose and analysing technical trade-offs.
- Managing spacecraft Mechanical systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Managing spacecraft platform subsystem mechanical interfaces and accommodation.
- Performing system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Assisting the Assembly, Integration, and Test (AIT) organization in the assembly and test of the Hummingsat spacecraft.
- Supporting the mechanical systems elements in the telecom satellite proposals.
- Ensuring technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring our less experienced engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of our talent.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- In-depth technical expertise and application of mechanical engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice.
- Real-world experience with mechanical system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies. Preferably with a minimum of 7 years’ experience.
- Experience with satellite system and missions. Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Demonstrated success with managing customer and supplier interfaces.
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space.
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent organizational skills and ethics.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Completely at ease working in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds and across different time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, Catia and ERP tools.
- Fluent English is a prerequisite, French is a plus.
- University degree in Mechanical or Materials or Aeronautical Engineering or Physics or equivalent.
- Experience with thermo-mechanical finite element simulations and optimizations is a plus.
- Knowledge of PLM tools is an assset.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. This position will be based from our Lausanne, Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between Europe and the United Sates to work with our teams and suppliers at both locations.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.