Satellite Power Subsystems Engineer
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Spacecraft Power Subsystem Engineer to join our development and customer program team for our HummingSat GEO satellite product line.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for spacecraft power subsystem, working with our program team and our external partners and suppliers.
- Design and develop spacecraft power subsystem.
- Develop and maintain spacecraft power budgets.
- Support spacecraft-level integration and testing.
- Ensure the power subsystem complies with all requirements.
- Analyse technical trade-offs and present solutions to the program team.
- Prepare and/or review technical documentation in support of all tasks including unit level requirement flow-down and verification.
- Develop relationships with solar array, battery, and power subsystem unit suppliers and partners, working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test each component in the subsystem.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, contributing to problem solving and ensuring successful deliveries.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Extensive experience with spacecraft power subsystems and/or power product engineering, preferably for 5 years or more.
- Demonstrated experience with spacecraft power systems (solar array management of operating conditions, power distribution and power conversion schemes).
- Proven experience generating and maintaining a power budget along with other transient analyses (shadowing, eclipse entry and exit, worst case analyses, etc.).
- Experience with spacecraft power harness engineering and manufacturing.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Proven ability to know when and how to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects.
- Good understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacturing, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in challenging trade-off parameter space.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Master or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics or equivalent.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces is a plus.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. This position can be based in either our Foster City office or our Lausanne, Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between the two locations to work teams and supplier at both locations. In addition, this role will be closely involved with the satellite AIT campaign and will require onsite presence in Southern California during the AIT campaign.
Please note that for US export control reasons, individuals who will be based in the US office need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V