Satellite Ground Systems Engineer – US
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance Radio Frequency (RF) products and applications to recently announcing the manufacture of entire geostationary telecom satellites, called HummingSat, that define a new category in space.
HummingSat is the world’s first commercial telecom GEO SmallSat developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA). Its uniquely compact size combined with highly capable telecom payloads allows telecommunications operators to deploy a cost-efficient, compact and agile asset without sacrificing performance or security. HummingSat has recently been selected by Inmarsat to build three I-8 satellites and in 2022 by Intelsat to build the IS-45 satellite.
SWISSto12 is also a leading provider of Radio-Frequency (RF) products and sub-systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF products.
We are looking for an experienced Spacecraft Ground Systems engineer to join our development and customer program for our HummingSat GEO satellite product line. If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Design and develop space to ground communication systems, including RF links, ground stations, and associated interfaces.
- Lead DevOps teams through the ground segment product lifecycle to ensure customer requirements are met.
- Lead integration and testing activities, ensuring system compatibility with HummingSat spacecraft and Ground Systems.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to optimize system performance and reliability.
- Analyze technical trade-offs and present solutions to the program team.
- Prepare and/or review technical documentation in support of all tasks including unit level requirement flow-down and verification.
- Develop relationships with ground system unit suppliers and partners, working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test each component in the subsystem.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, contribute to problem solving and ensuring successful deliveries.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in satellite communication engineering, with specific expertise in space to ground systems.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Demonstrated ability to know when and how to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects.
- Familiarity with space protocols, specifically CCSDS.
- Good understanding of end-to-end space encryption as well as encryption standards.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Excellent customer focus.
- Proven ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in challenging trade-off parameter space.
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering or Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces is a plus.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position can be based in our Foster City office and will require occasional travel between the two locations to work teams and supplier at both locations.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with Inmarsat, Intelsat and ESA for HummingSat as well as an established and growing business for its RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, Frontgrade, Elbit, IAI, Profen and ESA. SWISSto12 spun-off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2011, is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 80. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.