Satellite GNC Engineer
SWISSto12 is recruiting an experienced Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) subsystem engineer to join the development and customer program on its HummingSat GEO satellite product line (LINK)
The position can operate either from the San Francisco Bay Area or Lausanne , Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between the two locations to work with the integrated team at both locations as well as travel to suppliers in North America & Europe. In addition, this role will be closely involved with the satellite AIT campaign and will require onsite presence in Southern California during the AIT campaign.
Please note that for US export control reasons, individuals who will be based in the US office need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Responsible for spacecraft GNC subsystem, working within the SWISSto12 satellite program team and with external partners and suppliers.
- Design and develop spacecraft GNC subsystem, including hardware simulation.
- Support spacecraft-level integration and testing.
- Ensure that the GNC subsystem complies with all requirements.
- Analyse technical trade-offs and present solutions to the program team.
- Prepare and/or review technical documentation in support of all tasks including unit level requirement flow-down and verification.
- Develop relationships with GNC unit suppliers and partners. Work with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test each component in the subsystem. Define and prepare SoWs and specifications. Contribute to problem solving, ensure successful deliveries.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Master or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics or equivalent.
- 5+ years of related experience with spacecraft GNC subsystems and/or GNC unit level engineering is a must.
- Experience with three-axis spacecraft control is a must.
- Good understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacturing, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Ability to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects.
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces is a plus.
- Experience with developing and maintaining a pointing budget is a plus.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in challenging trade-off parameter space.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent working organisation and ethics.
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite, skills in French are a plus.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position will be filled as soon as possible.
Interested applicants are requested to apply with a CV (resume), a motivation letter, at least three references through the LinkedIn platform.
SWISSto12 is the leading developer of advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems for Telecommunications, Remote sensing and Radar applications in the Aerospace industry. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems. SWISSto12 has developed commercial with success in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Airbus Defence & Space, Elbit, IAI and the European Space Agency. SWISSto12 is the fastest growing Swiss aerospace company, spun off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors.
Developing from its RF product and system portfolio, SWISSto12 is now progressing on advanced end-to-end payloads and spacecraft missions. The first HummingSat mission has recently been kicked off with a commercial satellite telecom operator and a partnership contract with the European Space Agency, it is planned for launch in 2025. SWISSto12 is hence staffing a satellite program management and execution team to deliver against this HummingSat mission.
SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as in Israel. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.