Satellite Data Handling Engineer
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to innovative and growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Spacecraft Data Handling subsystem engineer to join our development and customer program for our HummingSat GEO satellite product line.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for spacecraft data handling subsystem, working with our satellite program team and our external partners and suppliers.
- Develop and maintain spacecraft wire harness and command and telemetry database.
- Support spacecraft-level integration and testing.
- Ensure the data handling subsystem complies with all requirements.
- Analyse technical trade-offs and present solutions to the program team.
- Define and implement spacecraft and unit level grounding requirements.
- Prepare and/or review technical documentation in support of all tasks including unit level requirement flow-down and verification.
- Develop relationships with data handling subsystem unit suppliers and partners, working with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test each component in the subsystem.
- Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, contribute to problem solving and ensuring successful deliveries.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Extensive experience with spacecraft data handling subsystems and/or data handling product engineering, preferably 5 years or more.
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies.
- Demonstrated ability to know when and how to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects.
- Familiarity with data busses such as CAN, SpaceWire, 1553B, UART, etc.
- Familiarity with space protocols in particular CCSDS.
- Good understanding of end-to-end space encryption as well as encryption standards.
- Good understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacturing, assembly, integration, test and operation.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality.
- Excellent customer focus.
- Proven ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in challenging trade-off parameter space.
- Excellent communication skills and ease at working across different cultures and different levels of an organization.
- Master or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics or equivalent.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite,
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces is a plus.
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position can be based from either our Foster City office or our Lausanne, Switzerland office and will require occasional travel between the two locations to work teams and supplier at both locations. In addition, this role will be closely involved with the satellite AIT campaign and will require onsite presence in Southern California during the AIT campaign.
Please note that for US export control reasons, individuals who will be based in the US office need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.