RF Architect / Tech Director – US RFAM
SWISSto12 is recruiting a Principal RF Architect / Tech Director to grow its market share in the US for RF products and subsystems, working in collaboration with its local partner CAES . In this role you will be the technical authority for the US market portfolio of advanced RF antenna & RF cavity products and capabilities for the US RF division of SWISSto12, leveraging SWISSto12’s proprietary additive manufacturing processes for the realization of complex, high reliability, RF products, antennas, and arrays.
The position opened herein can be remote or co-located with the SWISSto12 team in New Hampshire, with frequent on-site engagement at the CAES facility in Exeter, NH. The role will require extensive traveling (40-60%) in the US to meet with customers and partners as well as regular travel to the Lausanne, Switzerland headquarters for training and periodic support of non-US customer efforts.
SWISSto12 is partnered with CAES (LINK) to market its Additively Manufactured (AM) RF technology to US customers. Under this partnership, CAES has built an end-to-end manufacturing and test capability (LINK), based on SWISSto12’s unique and patented technology, at the CAES Exeter (NH) facility. In addition to the manufacturing capability, SWISSto12 and CAES routinely collaborate on product development, as well as supporting companies in the US, primarily in the Aerospace industry, with SWISSto12’s proprietary technology. SWISSto12’s extensive RFAM heritage consists primarily of complex integrated RF cavity-based assemblies (e.g., feed assemblies), antenna arrays and complete antenna systems for satellite communications, electronic surveillance/direction finding, and radar applications – primarily in the space, airborne and surface domains.
This role requires the ability to review and respond to export-controlled data and therefore requires that the applicant be a US citizen or green card holder.
This position requires an experienced and accomplished technology leader with deep expertise in the technical aspects of antenna and RF cavity-based devices such as feeds, filters, waveguides, integrated RF assemblies, and RF front ends.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Develop RF cavity-based devices for SATCOM, EW, and Radar applications used in a wide variety of Aerospace applications. Apply advanced RF technologies, scientific principles, theories, concepts, analyses, and simulations to form the basis for state-of-the-art solutions to propose to US customers according to their needs.
- Coordinate and support requirements analysis and decomposition. Engage with customer system architects to understand requirements and needs – and develop tradeoffs, concepts, and solutions to meet those needs. Participate in proposals, technical baseline development, and cost estimating.
- Participate in design, development, and analysis of sophisticated RF/Microwave Antennas and RF cavity-based components. Lead development of early concepts and prototypes, support testing, incorporate design improvements, and provide oversight and guidance to detailed design effort. Occasionally participate in test campaigns for products prior to delivery.
- Perform design, optimization and trade studies using finite element simulation tools.
- Prepare documentation for customers in support of captures, bids, proposals, work in progress and deliverables. Lead technical presentations to customers during concept development phase, TIMS, PDRs, CDRs, TRB milestones.
- Collaborate with colleagues in RF, mechanical, manufacturing, quality engineering in the US and Europe as well as partner staff from CAES for the execution of advanced programs.
- Engage effectively with SWISSto12 RFAM design experts to become the RFAM expert for the US market. Mentor and lead technical resources contributing to RFAM development and design for the US Aerospace market.
- Participate in US market strategy development, particularly focused on the product technical roadmap. Contribute to planning and execution of divisions strategic goals. Plan R&D programs and recommend technology programs to accomplish long-range objectives.
- Engage with US partners’ engineering staff to collaborate on design, development, and US market initiatives.
- As a recognized leader in the RF industry, write technical papers, and speak at industry events to promote RFAM technology.
- Contribute to US Product training to the US Business Development and Sales and any Sales Representatives as required.
- For the avoidance of doubt, this position does not cover the commercial development of the spacecraft product line of SWISSto12.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Master’s or PhD degree in engineering or Applied Physics or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience designing and delivering advanced RF products and solutions in the field of antennas, integrated RF assemblies, and RF cavity components.
- 5+ years of experience in the US aerospace or defense industries.
- Technical breadth across several of the following areas: passive antenna arrays; antenna feeds horns; RF cavity-based components including waveguide interconnects, filters, polarizers; electronically steered arrays; additive manufacturing; RF analysis and design tools such as Ansys HFSS, CST, TICRA (POS, CHAMP, and GRASP) or equivalent.
- Ability to work in a team environment, with strategic partners and customers.
- Demonstrated success engaging with customers to understand their unique needs and coordinating resources to provide highly differentiated and value-added solutions.
- High level of curiosity to understand customer needs, programs, organizations, and apply strategies in order to most effectively support customer needs and grow in the US market.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation of high quality.
- Ability to obtain a US DOD Secret clearance desirable.
- Prior experience leading a high-tech high-performance engineering functional team as this role is envisioned to be the functional leaders for the US engineering function as SWISSto12 grows in the US.
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent working organization and ethics.
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite.
Interested applicants are requested to apply via LinkedIn.
SWISSto12 is Switzerland’s fastest-growing aerospace company and a leading developer of advanced satellite payloads and systems, and advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems.
HummingSat is SWISSto12’s innovative, small-sized telecommunications satellite product line developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA); and recently selected by Intelsat to build Intelsat 45. It is scheduled for launch in 2025. HummingSat’s uniqueness comes from its small size and highly capable telecommunications payload.
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California,, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.
CAES is a leader in the field of advanced electronics for the most technologically challenging aerospace and defense systems. As the largest provider in the US of mixed-signal and radiation-hardened technology to the United States aerospace and defense industry, CAES delivers high-reliability RF, microwave and millimeter wave, microelectronic, and digital solutions. On land, at sea, in the air, in space and in cyberspace, CAES’ extensive electronics and enhanced manufacturing capabilities are at the forefront of mission-critical innovation. www.caes.com
Interested applicants are requested to apply via LinkedIn.
SWISSto12 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO M / F / D / V