Head of Satellite Systems Engineering
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance Radio Frequency (RF) products and applications to recently announcing the manufacture of entire geostationary telecom satellites, called HummingSat, that define a new category in space.
HummingSat is the world’s first commercial telecom GEO Smallsat developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA). Its uniquely compact size combined with highly capable telecom payloads allows telecommunications operators to deploy a cost-efficient, compact and agile asset without sacrificing performance or security. HummingSat has recently been selected by Inmarsat to build three I-8 satellites and in 2022 by Intelsat to build the I-45 satellite.
SWISSto12 is also a leading provider of Radio-Frequency (RF) products and sub-systems. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF products.
This position is a unique opportunity to lead the development of a new class of telecommunication satellites. If you are looking for position where you can play an active role in contributing to an innovative and fast growing company, this role is for you.
We are looking for an experienced Systems Engineer Leader to lead our teams in Switzerland and work with our teams in the US.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Leading the HummingSat engineering team in Switzerland.
- Applying state-of-the art project management and engineering processes throughout design, manufacturing, assembly, integration and testing to achieve milestones on quality, time and costs.
- Continually focus on eliminating bottlenecks and delays, facilitating the resolution of issues.
- Performing risk and opportunity management and provide leadership and direction to the continual risk management process.
- Assisting the Program Manager in leading all phases of the program – from initiation through delivery to the customer.
- Coordinating with contractors and suppliers.
- Foster a culture of relentless improvement.
- Inspire and motivate others.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring younger engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of talent.
- Travel as needed.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- Excellent understanding of the principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation, with preferably 7 or more years of experience on GEO spacecraft programs or equivalent complex space programs and systems engineering.
- Demonstrate extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice.
- Proven strong team leadership skills including mentoring, performance management, retention of talent and team building.
- Excellent project management skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordination to meet established milestones.
- Must possess the ability to resolve complex technical problems and complex management of technical activities.
- Experience with managing customer / operator and supplier interfaces
- Customer focused, must be able to work with leadership on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Autonomous, proactive and inclusive working style
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills including the ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds, as well as spread across different regions
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Experience with various relevant schedule tools
- Master’s or PhD degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Systems or Aerospace Engineering or Physics or equivalent
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001 and EN/AS 9100 norms as well as with preventive and curative quality tools (8D, Ishikawa, FMEA, risk analysis,) is an optional plus
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite, skills in French are a plus
Working conditions and contract:
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position opened herein will operate from the Lausanne office and will require occasional travel in Europe and between Europe and the US to work with teams and supplier at both locations.
Interested applicants are requested to apply through LinkedIn
More about SWISSto12:
SWISSto12 has successfully established contracts with IntelSat, Inmarsat and ESA for HummingSat as well as contracts for their RF product line in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Elbit, IAI and the ESA. SWISSto12 is a spin off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), is privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors. SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Foster City California, another team in New Hampshire, as well as in Rehovot, Israel with a total growing team of over 50. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.